A few years back I met Kevin Connolly when he stayed with my friend in Aspen during the X-Games. He’s smart, down to earth and adventurous. I bet this will be well worth watching.
Based on a true story, Argo portrays the CIA’s outlandish, and eventually successful, attempt to rescue six Foreign Service agents who had escaped to the Canadian Ambassador’s house in Iran when the embassy was under siege.
I found the movie riveting from the titles to the credits. The imagery featuring news footage and cool action drawings for storyboards, which worked well together. The acting was superb. Ben Affleck, who also directs, John Goodman and Alan Arkin were terrific and compelling. The deft use of actual news footage gave the film veracity and the brisk pacing added to the tension.
I didn’t know about this event, even though it was declassified by President Clinton. I was pulled into the crisis and fascinated that the solution, the best of the bad ideas, was low tech and bizarre. Also, this look at people who’re willing to sacrifice for their country without fan fare does appeal to me. Argo is a film well worth seeing. I’ll probably see it again soon.
- ‘Argo’ Wins Best Film Bafta; Affleck Named Best Director (bloomberg.com)
- Roger’s Review (rogerebert.suntimes.com)
- Argo – Review (thepoppedcorn.wordpress.com)
- ‘Argo,’ Ben Affleck and Daniel Day-Lewis Top BAFTA Winners (snspost.com)
- Argo Wins Big! Best Movie Cast At The SAG Awards! Watch Ben Affleck Accept The Honor HERE! (perezhilton.com)
- Golden Globes: ‘Argo,’ Affleck, ‘Les Miz’ (sfgate.com)
- Movie Review: Argo(2012) : Outstanding (rohanwrites.wordpress.com)